Saturday, February 9, 2013

Running Rule #12: Avoid Pine Needles & Leaves!

As a runner there are certain rules you must obey in order to not get yourself killed. For example, Do Not Run In Busy Traffic or Do Not Run In Lightning & Thunder.
Today I disobeyed a very important but often forgotten rule, Avoid Pine Needles & Leaves! Why, you ask? Well they are often times wet or slippery and can hide rocks and other dangers. And I know this. I really do. But today I did it anyway. Although, it was not entirely my fault.
There I was, minding my own business when a car came up in front of me. Now me, being a good little runner and following the rules (up until this point) was on the wrong side of the road like I should be. This car decides to not move to go around me, forcing me to get even closer to the curb and run in the pine needles lining the side of the road. That's when it happened...I rolled my ankle on the wet needles and went down. Hard.
For about 2 seconds after I got back up I really was thinking about just brushing the dirt off my hands and knees and continuing on. Until I looked down and saw blood peeking through my running capris and took a step on my left ankle and almost went down again because it was hurting.
I managed to hobble home. (thankfully I only got about half a mile in before this happened)
Now I'm pissed and in pain and my ankle is swollen to about 4 times its normal size!! I really was looking forward to my run today :( But I'm going to follow another very important running rule which is to Rest Your Injury!



0 comments:

Post a Comment