Saturday, February 2, 2013

My first 13.1!!!

Holy Bananas...Today was the day. The BIG one. The day I ran my very first 13.1 miles!!!!!!!

Now this was not the ACTUAL Half Marathon that I have been training for but instead a training run. Yeah, go figure, a training run where we run the entire actual course. I made sure that all this week I ate right, drank plenty of water and rested my knee when possible so that I would be R-E-A-D-Y.
My favorite running buddy joined me once again for this run and I was so thankful. (Even if she is a run-crasher since she's not technically party of our run training program. But who cares, she's awesome and they can't exactly kick her off of the running path)
We headed out and everything was going great...until about mile 3 when 98% of the group decided that they needed a potty break. I mean really, we'd only been going for a little bit. So while the rest of the group relieved themselves in a local McDonald's, Tabitha and I waited outside for them for what seemed like 20 minutes!
After they came back out we were on our way again. I also realized not too long after that that it takes me about a full mile to choke down a Gu Gel. I am just not a fan of the consistency  The flavor is great, especially the Tri-Berry one I had today, but I'm just not too keen on the Gu-i-ness ;)
I was able to push though some minor knee/IT Band issues and finish out strong. Even if our crazy coaches didn't tell us that it was actually about 14 miles all said and done. They even had medals for us at the finish line! They are too good to us :) 
I've got to say, I am very proud of myself for how far I've come in the last 6 months since I started really running again. I can now say that I am totally ready to ROCK The Woodlands Half Marathon in just 4 short weeks! 




0 comments:

Post a Comment