Monday, May 6, 2013

Haters into Haterade?? {Slightly Ranty}

Before I get myself into a tizzy, let me first say that typically I do not let people get to me. I've learned over the last year or so that people will try and bring you down or talk badly about you to make themselves feel better. And I'm okay with that. I've learned to embrace the haters! But what I don't like is when people (even if it's inadvertently) attribute my weight loss and fitness success to me not eating, etc. And that could not be further than the truth! Here's how this came up...
I was out at a Greek restaurant with my parents Friday night and I really wanted the vegetarian platter. It was a Greek salad, hummus, lentil soup and falafel. Sounds delish, right?! Well, apparently my mom had been speaking to my grandpa earlier and she decided I could not get that and her exact words were "you do not need to diet, get fish or something else". First off, I'm not on a diet, secondly that vegetarian platter has plenty of healthy calories and thirdly I didn't really want fish...I wanted the hummus and salad and lentil soup gosh darn it!! I was completely taken a back especially when she tells me that my grandfather and my aunt were "worried about me" Um, since when does my grandpa and my aunt discuss my appearance and why would they immediately think it's because I was not eating. Just because I take care of my body unlike other people in my family does not mean I do not eat. At first my feelings were really hurt. I have worked my ass off to get to where I am today and to do it the most healthy way as possible. I eat 5-6 meals a day, mostly clean, all gluten free and I try to maintain a healthy weight and eat lots of protein. I do not eat junk, that doesn't mean I'm starving myself.
Anyway, I got off on a tangent...sorry!...I was hurt that my own family would think that. But then I got to thinking, should I take it as a backhanded compliment? Is my babyweight-loss and toning up been THAT noticeable?? I'm seeing the glass half full and saying yes!
People will always try and turn something positive into a negative {even if they don't mean to or understand it} so I'm just going to let it roll off my back and smile ;)





2 comments:

Vanessa said...

I'm glad you found the silver lining! I'm the "fat one" in my family. I have live my whole life hearing from both my parents that I "could stand to lose a little weight" or something weird about keeping my husband happy. I know very well that I don't eat as well as I should. Yes I could lose a few pounds. But for the most part I'm pretty healthy. I'm definitely healthier now than I ever have been. I'm not fat!!! Shouldn't my metal/emotional health also be important? Why would you say something like that to your child? Even if your kid if an adult. Its just weird. I too have learned to laugh it off. I just think to myself " The fact that you would say something like that means there is more wrong with you than there is with me."

Sue @ This Mama Runs for Cupcakes said...

The important thing is YOU know what is really going on. Your hard work and dedication is paying off!! You are right, there are so many haters out there, that you just have to take it all with a grain of salt. You look fabulous and you eat that hummus, falafel and soup!! That would have been my choice too :)

Post a Comment