Friday, May 24, 2013

Esprit de She = PR's!



Most of you know about my unfortunate accident resulting in a fractured fibula...that was then soon after followed by cellulitis in the same leg. Because of these injuries I was not able to run and train like I should and with so many races on my schedule I was devastated and I was expecting horrible times.
Instead of running I had been spending my cardio time either cycling or on the elliptical. Little did I know that this cross training would make me so much stronger and able to run longer!! 
I had been chosen to be an ambassador for the Houston Espirt de She 10K. I was super duper excited to help promote the running series however I was a little nervous because it was my first solo race. Every other race that I had run up to this point I had had someone there running it with me. However, as I was walking up to the starting line, what do I see?? 3 pink Moms RUN This Town shirts and Tutus!! I just had to run over and see what chapter it was!! It was some of the ladies from a neighboring chapter that I had spoken to briefly over Facebook but had never met before. Funny how wearing MRTT to gear brings people together.
Anyway,  I set out to run like I had been training before my accidents...4:1's. Run 4 minutes, walk 1 minute and so on and so forth for the whole 10K. However, my Garmin had a different plan...it did not want to do intervals that day. I started running with the intentions of running the first mile straight and my Garmin was supposed to kick in with the 4:1's after that. But it didn't. And I was feeling pretty good so I just kept on running. Before I knew it I was at the 5K mark and I had hit a PR! A 5K in 30:46...for me, that was kinda awesome. And it served as my motivation to keep on trucking. After that I was in the ZONE!! I finished out the 10K in 1:04:53. Again, for me, I was super happy with myself!! I know that it's only going to get better from here on out. {As long as I avoid all wet foliage and insects LOL!}


0 comments:

Post a Comment